Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to you and your families. It’s hard to believe how fast time is going, we’re almost in 2019, WoW! One of our members said to me” this is an exclusive neighborhood” and that rang loud with me. The board’s mission is to keep and build the equity in all of our homes and when they said it to me, it’s absolutely essential that we all participate in keeping it an “Exclusive” place to live. Taking care of our properties, following our by-laws and overall taking pride in Riverwatch. It’s easy to become complacent and lose sight of what we have and it’s value. While your board can manage the day to day operations of Riverwatch, we all own the responsibility to make and keep Riverwatch an “Exclusive” neighborhood. With all the growth Gloucester is seeing, there is no way but up, for all of us, with our property values.
Some good news! We were scheduled to have a 3% increase in dues for next year, well, due to the management of our funds, we will not be increasing the dues this coming year. We are building up our reserve nicely and able to minimize our spending to keep within or below budget. As you all know, you can see all of the financials on the website, www.riverwatchhomeowners.org, if you haven’t gotten a password, please sign in and get one. All of our financial data and private information are protected from the public. In addition, due to Cathy Putnick, your treasurer, doing some due diligence, it looks like we are going to be able to save $3,500 a year in our insurance premium cost. I am waiting to meet an inspector from the insurance company to get the final numbers. Great job Cathy, thanks.
I wanted to share with you what the board is up to, actions, taken and plans for next year. By the way, it’s getting colder, but it’s a great time to go down on the dock and take a look at the river, it’s beautiful this time of the year. Over the last month or so, we started beautifying the islands on East-West Pkwy, putting in plants at each end and planting grass at the main entrance, replacing the “monkey grass” that was there. The borders are cut and the new grass is coming in, it’s going to be beautiful this spring. By the way, our main entrance is impressive, bring your guest in that way and show off Riverwatch.
Plans for this winter:
Getting a minimum of 3 quotes for the following:
- Re-surfacing the pool parking lot
- Replacing the wooden decking at the pavilion/pool
- Either power washing the pavilion or having it painted
- Getting quotes for grass planting and fertilizing at each entrance
- Quotes for grass cutting for next year – we are looking for a firm that can do more than cut the grass, general maintenance, etc.
- Quote for children’s play area, swing set, etc. behind the pool
Several times the question has been asked, what does the management company do for us?
As all of you know, we use Community of Partners of Virginia.
Here is a list of support functions they perform for us. Beth Pryor is our contact and she has done an excellent job supporting us here in Riverwatch.
- Assessment collection
- Invoice payment
- Management of maintenance work orders
- Architectural and rules violations letters
- Work with Board to develop detailed specifications for all contract work for approval by the Board of Directors
- Work with the Board to obtain qualified bids for major projects
- 24/7 availability for homeowner association management related emergencies
- Full consulting services
- Document review
- Referrals to attorneys and other professionals as appropriate
- Customer/Resident Relations
- Disclosure Packages
- Evaluation of proposals/recommendation to Board
- Contract preparation
- Prepare letters after a committee member complete inspection of the homes and submits photo documentation
- Prepare legal notices required by the governing documents
- Prepare for/assist with annual meeting
- After-hours emergency assistance
- Assist with the architectural review process
- Arrange for/work with reserve specialist
- Advise board of changes in association management
- Maintain association records
- Process assessment payments and other receivables
- Monthly reconciliation of association bank accounts
- Preparation of monthly financial statements
- Preparation of/assistance with association’s yearly budget
- Send out assessment due notices and late notices
- Monitor overdue accounts/Collection Procedures
- Maintain owner database
- Work with CPA to complete year-end audit and tax returns
We just have a couple of ask for each of you, stay involved in Riverwatch, give us any ideas/suggestions you have and if you have concerns, please don’ hesitate to let any board member know. Please review the by-laws and follow the guidelines, we all benefit from it.
Have a wonderful holiday,
Mike AtLee – President
Charlie Patullo – Vice President
Cathy Putnick – Treasurer
Karen Schneck – Secretary
Walter Johnson – Member at Large